Skip to main content

Blog Post #2

Hello Everyone!

In class this week I learned about more online sites to incorporate into a classroom setting that could be beneficial to the teachers and the students to determine progress that both the teacher and the learner can reflect on. An example of this would be Plickers. Plickers is a useful and unique way to assess your students knowledge or preparedness in a subject or assess whether homework was completed. I completed an example version, Check it out here! There were a variety of other sites that were also great tools to use whether that be a website for organizing a classroom, or a fun activity to incorporate. For the school portion of my genius hour, I have came to a few realizations. Such as not everything that we have learned is my style of teaching, and that is okay! I will find a way that works for me and my students when I put it to the test in practicum. I have managed to balance all my school work in a way where I have completed each assignment to the best of my ability and it has so far paid off. My time management has improved considering I haven't reached the point where I feel like my head is spinning in circles and I'm not looking at my teacher like they have five heads.
Funny Balance Pictures -
Freaking News.
 (0AD). Retrieved from
http://www.freakingnews.com/
funny-pictures
/balance-pictures-03.asp.
I made it my goal to go for a run between 5-10km for 5 days this week and to try out a yoga class for one day! So far I am on the right track to completing this. I decided that I am taking Thursday off this week off, running 8km on Friday and Yoga on Saturday! On Sunday I made sweet potato, chickpea and coconut curry with rice for half of the week and quinoa for the other half. I had left over chocolate almond protein bites, lucky me! My meal prep worked out lovely and I was satisfied with all my meals and snacks! For next Sunday I am going to keep it simple with salmon, rice or sweet potatoes and a salad while i'm adjusting to losing an extra day of time I usually spend doing homework! However I am going to make these healthy cookie dough balls (SO EXCITED!) and I'll keep preparing hard boiled eggs, veggies and other snacks to get me through! My scheduling is still working out well, I even managed to sleep in a little because of preparing the previous night! My sleep could still use some work though in terms of falling asleep. For this week I am going to attempt to remove myself from technology and bright light at least 30 minutes before I go to bed. This allows my body to generate the natural sleeping aid referred to as melatonin. I will also plan to keep active throughout the day, so that my body is ready for bed. How to Sleep Better gave me some helpful suggestions to give a whirl for a better nights sleep! Socially this week was nice, a little more laid back then last week but a lot of roommate time watching movies such as 27 dresses and I went to Kelly's Bake Shoppe in Burlington (The authors of my favourite Cookbook, Made With Love) and met up with a friend from home there!





Plickers. (0AD). Retrieved from https://blogs.umass.edu/onlinetools/assessment-centered-tools/plickers/
Childs, K., & Weatherbie, E. (2016). Made with love: more than 100 sweet and savory plant-based recipes for every moment in life. Canada: Appetite by Random House.
Liddon, A. (2017). Oh she glows everyday: quick and simple satisfying plant-based recipes. London: Michael Joseph.
How to Sleep Better. (2019, August 9). Retrieved from. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/getting-better-sleep.htm

Comments